CERTIFICATE OF ATTESTATION OF BIRTH AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE IN NIGERIA
The National Population Commission (NPC) is an agency of the Federal Government of Nigeria established and saddled with the responsibility of issuing a birth certificate and attestation of birth certificate for any person born in Nigeria. The NPC also register and issue death certificates.
The Act establishing the NPC states that birth certificates issued from hospitals, churches, mosques are not accepted as a legal birth certificate for presentation in schools, embassies, immigration purposes, visa processing and so on. The Act further provides that Nigerians and foreigners born before 1992 will only obtain the Attestation Of Birth Certificate from the NPC, while Birth Certificate will be issued birth to any person born in Nigeria after 1992. However, the attestation of a birth certificate has the same legal implication as a birth certificate.
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING ATTESTATION OF BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM NPC:
- The first step is to visit the NPC office and request for the data form for either attestation of the certificate of birth or birth certificate for those born from 1992.
- If the application is to be processed on your behalf for someone, a proxy form will be collected by a person who is applying on behalf of the real applicant.
- The data form will be accompanied by the following documents:
- An affidavit sworn to at the High court of the state by the applicant.
- A copy of valid means of identification in the case of a proxy, either a national passport or national identity number.
- Passport photograph of the applicant, if in the case of proxy then passport photograph of the proxy
- The listed documents are then submitted to the NPC for verification and processing.
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM NPC:
The applicant seeking to process a birth certificate must be born after 1992 to apply for the birth certificate. Such an applicant is expected to pick up a data form from the office of the NPC called form B and it to be filled by the applicant and the parents of the applicant.
The form will be submitted back to the NPC for verification and processing and be accompanied by the relevant documents.
Finally, the verification processes of the attestation of birth certificate and birth certificate may take a few days to be processed. The NPC is currently the statutory organization in charge of issuing birth documents in Nigeria, and any birth documents not issued by NPC in Nigeria may not be used for any official purposes.
By Resolution Law Firm