BIRTHS, DEATHS, ETC. (COMPULSORY REGISTRATION) ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Compulsory registration of births, deaths, etc.
2. Appointment of Registrar‐General.
3. Appointment of Chief Registrar.
4. Appointment of Deputy Chief Registrar.
5. Appointment of registrars and other staff.
6. Establishment of registration centres.
Registration of births
7. Registration of births in Nigeria.
8. Persons responsible for registering births.
9. Persons to give information concerning a birth.
10. Time limit for registration.
11. Registration of name subsequent to registration of birth.
12. Registration of birth of child out of wedlock.
13. Persons baptising
14. Persons performing the naming ceremony.
15. Certificate of registration of birth.
16. Registrar may summon persons to register births.
Registration of deaths
17. Particulars of death to be registered.
18. Information concerning death.
19. Medical certificate of death.
20. When certificate is issued by coroner.
21. Registration of death free of charge.
22. Registrar to issue certificate of burial.
23. Burial of deceased child as still‐born.
29. Registration of adoption order.
Registration of customary marriages or divorces
30. Registration of customary marriages.
31. Register of marriages and divorces.
32. Abstract to be sent to the Registrar.
33. Registers and records to be deposited with the Registrar‐General.
34. Application of certain provisions of the Marriage Act.
Returns by registrars, etc.
35. Returns to be made by registrar.
36. Quarterly returns by Deputy Chief Registrar.
37. Quarterly returns by Chief Registrars.
38. Annual reports.
39. Entry in register as evidence of birth or death.
40. Correction of errors in registers.
41. Search of entries kept by Registrar‐General.
42. Delivery up of books, etc., on ceasing to hold office.
43. Provision of register boxes.
44. Registrar‐General, etc., public officers.
45. Power to compound offences.
47. Penalty for forging certificates, etc.
48. Penalties for failure to give information.
51. Repeals and amendment of certain enactments.
52. Short title.
For full law details download pdf